This research has been co‐financed by the European Union and Greek national funds through the Operational Program Competitiveness, Entrepreneurship and Innovation, under the call RESEARCH – CREATE – INNOVATE (project code: T2EDK- 02504).
July 2020 – July 2023
The project concerns the construction of a submarine vehicle (ROV) for the inspection and repair of fish farms in Greece using Computational Vision, in order to identify irregularities and damage. At the same time, it will collect measurements for research and improvement of the growth rate of the products, while in the second level, a quality control of the fish and evaluation of their nutritional value will be carried out, measuring quality indicators.
- M. Vasileiou, N. Manos, N. Vasilopoulos, A. Douma, and E. Kavallieratou, Kalypso Autonomous Underwater Vehicle: A 3D-printed Underwater vehicle for inspection at Fisheries, Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics, ASME, 2024 (May 2, 2023). https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4062355.
- E. Kavallieratou, K. Paraskevas and M. Vasileiou, Building Kalypso: The Software, 2023 7th International Conference on Robotics and Automation Sciences (ICRAS), IEEE, Wuhan, China, 2023, pp. 37-42. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICRAS57898.2023.10221581.
- N. Manos , M. Vasileiou, and E. Kavallieratou, Building Kalypso: The Construction, 5th International Conference on Advances in Signal Processing and Artificial Intelligence (ASPAI’ 2023), Tenerife (Canary Islands), IFSA, Spain, 7-9 June, pp. 195–198, 2023.
- N. Vasilopoulos, E. Kavallieratou, and E. Stamatatos, Building Kalypso: The navigation system, 5th International Conference on Advances in Signal Processing and Artificial Intelligence (ASPAI’ 2023), Tenerife (Canary Islands), IFSA, Spain, 7-9 June, 2023.
- K. Paraskevas and E. Kavallieratou, Detecting Holes in Fish Farming nets: A Two–Method approach, 2023 International Conference on Control, Automation and Diagnosis (ICCAD), IEEE, Rome, Italy, 2023. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICCAD57653.2023.10152452.
- M. Vasileiou, N. Manos, and E. Kavallieratou, An Underwater Vehicle for Aquaculture Inspection, 7th International Conference on Control, Automation and Diagnosis (ICCAD’23), IEEE, Rome, Italy, 2023. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICCAD57653.2023.10152412.
- M. Vasileiou, N. Manos, and E. Kavallieratou, IURA: An Inexpensive Underwater Robotic Arm for Kalypso ROV, 2022 IEEE International Conference on Electrical, Computer, Communications and Mechatronics Engineering (ICECCME), pp.832-837, IEEE, Male, Maldives, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICECCME55909.2022.9988259.
- K. Paraskevas and E. Kavallieratou, Detecting Holes in Fishery Nets using an ROV, 2022 International Conference on Electrical, Computer, Communications and Mechatronics Engineering (ICECCME) 2022, IEEE, Male, Maldives, pp. 1282-1286,. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICECCME55909.2022.9988724.
- M. Vasileiou, N. Manos, and E. Kavallieratou, A Low-Cost 3D Printed Mini Underwater Vehicle: Design and Fabrication, 2021 IEEE 20th International Conference on Advanced Robotics (ICAR), IEEE, Lubiana, Slovenia, pp.390-395, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICAR53236.2021.9659412.
Creation of a Multimodal Biometric Password by using Steganography
Sep. 19 – Nov. 20
Recent device implementations require biometric features to unlock the device to ensure greater security. Such systems mainly use computer vision algorithms to analyze the image and identify the user. Recent research has shown that a biometric identification system can be cheated using fake biometric features. For all these reasons and for simplifying the identification of a user, we suggest creating a multimodal biometric code, which will be created by biometric features of the user in combination with a sealing and will be unique to each user. We will look at combinations of such features and experimentally demonstrate its safety by choosing the most appropriate combination.
- K. Karampidis, M. Rousouliotis, E. Linardos, E. Kavallieratou, A comprehensive survey of fingerprint presentation attack detection, Journal of Surveillance, Security and Safety, Vol., No., pp., 2021
- K. Karampidis, E. Linardos, E. Kavallieratou, StegoPass – Utilization of Steganography to Produce a Novel Unbreakable Biometric Based Password Authentication Scheme, Computational Intelligence in Security for Information Systems Conference, pp., 2021
- K. Karampidis, E. Kavallieratou, G. Papadourakis, A dilated convolutional neural network as feature extractor – A hybrid classification scheme, Pattern Recognition and Image Analysis, Vol.30, No.3, pp.342–358, 2020, Springer
- K. Karampidis, N. Vasilopoulos, Carlos Cuevas, Carlos R del-Blanco, E. Kavallieratou, Narciso García, Overview of the ImageCLEFsecurity 2019: File Forgery Detection Tasks, Conference and Labs of the Evaluation Forum, pp., 2019
Experimental Analysis of Educational Data
Project with ATHENA Research Center (Greece)
May 2018 – June 2019
As specified in the SlideWiki Grant Agreement, the call for tender is addressed to organizations and institutions and will be managed by the following SlideWiki Partners: Leibniz University of Hannover (Germany), the Open University (UK), ATHENA Research Center (Greece) and the Institute for Applied Informatics (Germany). The selected bids serve to assess SlideWiki‘s effectiveness, and its educational and learning impact in terms of delivering its goals, by using and testing it.
Document Image Layout Analysis
Project with MEDIA OBSERVER (Jordan)
June 2017 – June 2019
The Scope of Work for the Project is to develop a page layout analysis Windows desktop application. The software will consist of a graphical user page 2 / 3 interface (GUI) and a dynamic link library (DLL). The GUI will first import high-quality document images of various types (e.g. newspapers, journals, magazines) and then call the DLL functions in order to segment the page(s) into separated non-overlapping blocks. All these blocks will be further classified into either text or graphics (logos, photos, diagrams etc.). The output will be a XML file that will include the bounding polygon coordinates and the class of each detected block. The Client shall provide access to image samples at the beginning of the Project and not later than fifteen (15) days after the Effective Day. Those samples are going to be used both for training the system and evaluating its performance. The final accuracy will depend on the size and variability of the dataset.
N. Vasilopoulos, Yazan Wasfi, E. Kavallieratou, Automatic Text Extraction from Arabic Newspapers, International Conference Image Analysis and Recognition, pp.505-510, 2018
It is an open online system for creating Open Course Ware material (open source material). That is, it provides educational material online, multilingual, open content and evolving on the basis of cooperation and voluntary contribution of the members of the platform.
The project is funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation program and involves 17 partners who are developing, testing and evaluating SlideWiki’s platform.
Through a series of interactive and open tools, SlideWiki aims to cultivate knowledge communities around the world by making content available to a global audience. With SlideWiki we seek to improve the efficiency of creating collaborative and rich licensed educational materials for everyone.