Special Issue “Applications of Communication Technologies in Agriculture: IoT, Machine Learning, and Big Data”
The world of agriculture is undergoing a profound transformation. Applications of emerging communications in the agricultural industry are continuously developing. Smart agriculture has the ability to deliver a new era of innovative cultivation systems that will be based on a combination of new information and communication technologies. In order to do so, several technological challenges have to be met. New types of sensors, the Internet of Things (IoT), machine learning (ML), and big data analysis (BDA) will help farmers to sustainably and profitably manage their holdings. We invite researchers to contribute original papers describing applications and systems on the emerging trends of communication technologies for addressing various issues in the agricultural domain.
Potential topics include but are not limited to the following:
- IoT applications in agriculture;
- Cloud-, fog-, and edge-based systems in smart farming;
- Crop models and decision support systems in smart farming;
- Utilization of big data in sustainable agriculture;
- Big data innovation in sustainable agriculture;
- Machine learning for agricultural applications;
- Deep learning for agricultural applications;
- Communication technologies in smart agriculture;
- Smart irrigation systems for yield improvement;
- Use of robotics and IoT for cultivation processes automation;
- Use of IoT in forestry management;
- RF energy harvesting applications in agriculture;
- UAV/FANET for agricultural applications;
- Gamification in smart agriculture.
Prof. Sotirios K. Goudos
Prof. Paolo Rocca
Prof. Demosthenes Vouyioukas
Prof. Shaohua Wan
Dr. Achilles D. Boursianis
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Telecom is an international peer-reviewed open access quarterly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1000 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI’s English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
For more information please visit