The term New Economy, as we move towards the Information Society, includes the redesign of the existing economic activities concurrently with the creation of new ones, as digital technology makes storage, processing, dissemination and utilization of information easier, faster, cheaper and more efficient. The huge amount of available electronic information changes significantly the way companies and markets work, leading to a redesign of their operational framework that aims at the creation of new added value by exploiting the available information.
In this New Economy, the efficiency and competitiveness of organizations, in both the public and the private sector, highly rely on the effective exploitation of ICTs.
In this context, both the Undergraduate and Postgraduate Programs of the Department of Information and Communication Systems Engineering (www.icsd.aegean.gr) aim at preparing highly educated and skilled engineers in the area of ICTs, who:
- will have sound fundamental, as well as specialized knowledge,
- will be distinguished for their analytic, synthetic, critical and creative spirit,
- will be able to work effectively in a collaborative environment,
- will be able to contribute from positions of responsibility to the effective exploitation of ICTs in companies and organizations of the public,
- private and social sector of the economy,
- will be able to take action in a collaborative environment, generating new knowledge through their participation in activities of basic and applied research and development.